Go to your local organic food store, and visit their bulk section. There you will find dried fruits and nuts and it is from these that you can create your personal favorite trail mix. Plan ahead of time so you can buy the ingredients while doing household shopping. Once all the ingredients are assembled, this project takes about an hour total time to make a dozen packages. People will love it.
You Will Need:
• Small cellophane bags
• Labels in shape 23, 12, or 1
• 6 cups of your choice dried fruits and nuts, etc. – you can tailor this to the tastes of your people. Do they love coconut or do they hate it? Adjust accordingly.
Ideas for Trail Mix Ingredients:
• nuts: peanuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, shaved coconut, almonds, macadamias, pistachios
• dried fruits: pineapple, mango, blueberries, cranberries, raisins, cherries, dates, apricots, goji berries, apples, figs, bananas, prunes
• crackers/chips: pretzels, sesame sticks
• candy: chocolate chips, m&m’s, white chocolate chips, chocolate covered raisins, skittles
• seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts
• my absolute favorite combination: macadamias, pecans and walnuts – baked and cooled, dried pineapple, mango, cherries, dates, apricots, shaved coconut
Pour all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands or a large spoon. Pour about 1/2 cup of the mixture into each cellophane bag; fold down the top and seal with a label.
Now you have your own Fabulous Trail Mix.
Guidelines for Simple Gifts:
• Plan ahead. Think about and decide what you want to do well in advance so you can do the shopping portion of the giftmaking along with other errands. Have all materials and ingredients on hand when it is time to make the gift.
• Packaging. Pretty packaging makes any gift special. Arm yourself with a supply of small boxes or cellophane bags and ribbon. We also recommend having your own personalized tags or labels on hand. Use generic wording so they can be used on a multitude of items. For example, mom’s tags and labels say “with love from Grammie.” With no reference to what the item is, they can be used on anything!
• It is not the item itself that is special; it is the idea that you think enough about a person to prepare something personally for them. Sometimes your gift doesn’t even have to be handmade; but hand-assembled. Follow this monthly series and you will see examples of both.